Thursday, January 10, 2013

Georgia O'Keeffe

Georgia O’Keeffe was born in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin in 1887. She was born second of seven kids. In 1905 she went to the Art Institute of Chicago and then later went to study at the Art Students League of New York. Then she worked for a little as a commercial artist in Chicago before moving to Texas to teach. During the summer of 1915, O’Keeffe took classes at the Teachers College of Columbia University in South Carolina, after that she then started painting many pieces. She traveled to many places around the world and has inspired many people including me. She received the Medal of the Arts from President Ronald Reagan. Although only a year later in 1986 at the age of 98, O’Keeffe passed away at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I really like Georgia because her paintings are not only pleasing to look at but are very uplifting instead of dark and depressing. I am very impressed at the artistic talent she possessed; therefore I am excited to use her as my inspiration for my project. O’Keeffe had painted a lot of flowers so I was happy to find the two photos on the right, but I chose these paintings because they are not only beautiful but they are somewhat different than the other paintings she had made. I am very excited to get started on this next project, a picture of the end result will hopefully be posted on my blog shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment